[ExI] Regarding Wickedness (was beowolf)

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Nov 25 16:01:47 UTC 2007

> Spike wrote:
>
> > Can we really say we shouldn't be helping the Iraqis beat this plague?
> All
> > cultures are not fundamentally equivalent.  It is our business because
> we
> > are good people.  Al qaeda is evil.
>
> Keith replied:
>
> An EP view of such awful actions has no room for "evil" any more than
> lions keeping down the population of zebras is evil...

Ja.  This is where I can't seem to fully grasp the universal scientific view
provided by EP.  I can easily view almost all human behavior from an amoral
viewpoint, with a few important exceptions, which I am stuck having to label
with the subjective term "evil".  I have a short list of evil institutions
which are or were once accepted by a large segment of the population:
slavery, Nazism, communism and Al-Queda/Taliban.

How many of you have seen that video that made the rounds on the internet a
few months ago, where the lions jumped the water buffalo*?  Is it still on
YouTube?  That video always reminds me that if the zebras work together,
they can defeat the lions.  If they could communicate effectively, they
could organize themselves, and whenever the lions managed to take down a
zebra, the herd could stampede and either drive off the cats or trample them
into the dust.  The zebras could drive the cats completely to extinction, if
only they could work together instead of acting as hundreds of ineffective
individuals.

spike

*Short description of the video:  a family of water buffalo wander near the
river minding their own business when they are suddenly jumped by five
lions.  The buffalo bolt, but the cats catch the youngest, which struggles,
briefly escapes, flees toward the river.  The cats catch it again on the
bank, but suddenly a crocodile lunges from the water and grabs a leg of the
buffalo.  The lions and the crocodile have a tug of war, a game in which the
big reptile has an advantage even against five lions, but suddenly the
crocodile inexplicably releases the morsel and bolts.  The cats sit down to
devour their prey, when suddenly realize why the croc left town, for they
look up to find that the water buffalo have returned in large and very
pissed off numbers.  The cats now have a river to their backs (with a hungry
and revenge-oriented crocodile therein) and the entire herd of water buffalo
closing in, surrounding by pi radians, with looks on their faces that seem
to say "That's my baby you have there, and now you toothy sons a bitches are
going to die."  The buffalo whoop ass, the baby actually gets up and trots
away, the people cheer.

Did anyone find a link to that video?