[ExI] simulation

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Nov 30 03:02:13 UTC 2007

At 05:43 PM 11/29/2007, Bryan wrote:
>A distributed, open source brain simulation project could have many
>uses: scientific understanding, pushing for "open minds", a
>particularly long-term goal for the h+ programming community to work
>with, etc. Not everybody (read: you) have to support the concept, of
>course.

It's a worthy goal of course, but I think quite a way from being a
project that could be done distributed, at least not on current
machines and the current net if this bunch of researchers has the
estimates of the machine capacity and bandwidth required correct.

To scope the problem, the area of the brain surface is about quarter
of a square meter, the cortical columns are spaced about 0.03 mm in a
hexagonal array.  Figure about a thousand of them to the sq mm. There
are a million sq mm to a sq m. So if you had 250 H+ programmers, each
of them would have to be managing a million cortical column simulations.

Please check my numbers.

If you have any suggestions about how to reduced the difficulty of
the project, please post them.

Keith Henson