[ExI] from the other side

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 04:39:44 UTC 2007

Tip #349: Computer backups are now insanely easy.

(This is way after the fact for everyone involved, and doesn't help
when you have a real paper based notebook.)

If you use a computer, and you keep valuable work on it that you
wouldn't want to lose, consider an online backup service. I personally
use DataDepositbox.com, but it looks like there are now better
services.

A particular example is Carbonite:

http://carbonite.com/

US $49.95 per year per computer, to back up everything on your Windows
PC to their secure online, offsite storage.

These services backup everything initially. After that, they notice if
you change any file, and back up the new version as soon as possibly
(ie: in the next few minutes usually).

You just sign up, install some software, configure it if you are a bit
of a geek (but that's not really necessary I think) and forget about
it.

If you lose your machine (disk dies, machine stolen/lost, etc), or
just delete some files you shouldn't have, you just get online and
download them from the backup site. Easy!

You'll need a pretty serious always on broadband connection, but
that's nigh on ubiquitous these days.

If you are not doing this, try it out!

Since using datadepositbox, I've had to change laptops (for unrelated
reasons), and found the easiest way was to just get the new one,
restore everything that mattered from backup onto the new one, and I
just reformatted the old one. So easy!

(note: Linux and Mac users: Carbonite wont work for you, but one of
the other equivalent services might, have a hunt).

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com