[ExI] Vernor Vinge's "Rainbows End" free online

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Fri Nov 30 05:09:31 UTC 2007

Let me provide some context.  As I recall the book was first posted on
the web in May or June.  The book was nominated for the Hugo Best Novel
award.  The Hugo Awards and other awards are presented each year at the
World Science Fiction Convention (aka Worldcon).  Worldcon was held in
Yokohoma and it was great fun.  And Rainbows End was the winner.  I
strongly recommend reading the book.  I have read it twice and enjoyed
it both times.

There are many different Hugo Award catagories; best novel, novella,
etc.  Although it is not required many nominated works are placed on the
web for the benefit of the eligible voters to read.  In a very few cases
they are put behind an authentication so that only the voters can see
the work but usually it is placed on the web where anyone can read it.
In my case I had read it in hardback before it was on the web having
awaited it eagerly after I had first heard Vernor say that he had turned
in the manuscript.

There are several publishers and authors that use the web to a variety
of interesting manners.  Cory Doctorow (published by Tor-Forge) has been
publishing many of his works on the web at the same time as the print
version appears. Baen Books has put many of their titles on in a free
web library.  Plus there are many more than there is space to list.

The 2008 Worldcon will be in Denver and 2009 will be in Montreal.
For more information on Worldcon see:
http://www.worldcon.org/

For information on the Hugo awards:
http://www.worldcon.org/hugos.html