[ExI] Computer Backups

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 14:52:44 UTC 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 1:58 PM, Natasha Vita-More wrote:
>  Thanks for posting this Emlyn.  You just reminded me that I have to do
> this.  Does anyone else have an online backup service that they recommend?
> (I'm on hold with Carbonite right now to ask a few questions.)

Apparently Google has plans to store all our data files online.
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119612660573504716.html>

Google Plans Service to Store Users' Data
By KEVIN J. DELANEY and VAUHINI VARA
November 27, 2007
Google is preparing a service that would let users store on its
computers essentially all of the files they might keep on their
personal-computer hard drives -- such as word-processing documents,
digital music, video clips and images, say people familiar with the
matter. The service could let users access their files via the
Internet from different computers and mobile devices when they sign on
with a password, and share them online with friends. It could be
released as early as a few months from now, one of the people said.

The Mountain View, Calif., company plans to provide some free storage,
with additional storage allotments available for a fee, say the people
familiar with the matter. Planned pricing isn't known.

Google already effectively offers storage for consumers' files through
Web applications such as its Docs word-processing, spreadsheet and
presentation applications and its Gmail email. Users can upload photos
to its Picasa Web Albums photo-hosting service, which provides one
gigabyte of free storage.

The article also has a table of some similar services.

BillK