[ExI] Computer Backups

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Nov 30 19:14:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 12:01:10PM -0600, Natasha Vita-More wrote:

>    Silly me, but I feel more confident contracting out, signing a legal
>    agreement and actually paying for a services that is going to hold all
>    my private/personal material.

In case you've picked up Macs meanwhile, a .Mac subscription is not
that a bad value for the money (I wouldn't do it myself, but only
because I would roll my own, which is a complete overkill for most).

Open source people could just rent a virtual server somewhere (EC2 might
be an option, though there might be better bargains out there), and dump
their stuff there, e.g. with rsync over ssh, or a rsync script which does the
equivalent of Leopard's Time Machine for free.

Me, I don't trust my data with anyone. After that very unconstitutional
data retention law was passed on 9th November hereabouts, I've terminated
my mobile contract for an anonymous prepaid, will order an OpenMoko once the consumer
2nd-generation hardware is out since I don't trust firmware I can't control,
am using Tor for sundry terrorist activities, tinkering with VPNs, specially
VPNs into overseas jurisdiction compartments who don't render data upon Keyser.