[ExI] Evolution is not random,...

Khaled Aly ka.aly at luxsci.net
Fri Nov 30 22:45:32 UTC 2007

Title sounds too abbreviating and attention catching, I don't think it's
what the authors' precisely meant by the study. May I share some random
thoughts about probability and perspectives. Mathematicians welcome to
bring more vigor to these loose inquisitions ...

How many processes govern evolution? What is developmental evolution
with respect to evolution as a whole (for a non-biologist)? The study
was conducted over a "small" sample of a small number of spices where
the stochastic laws of large numbers do not apply (expectation is most
accurate towards infinity). It was also limited to a limited number of
those spices' body members. If evolution is deterministic at some level,
we should be able to confirm for sure some features of some future
generation of some living organism. Actually, is there anything no
matter how simple 'really' deterministic? And if we could determine the
infinite th moment (or all moments) of any random variable, not to
mention a convoluted natural process, don't we just get its full
distribution, which doesn't make it deterministic?

Could an analogy be drown to continuous and discrete quantities, and
which approximate which? One can count discrete apples but can never
'exactly' measure a mile or a micron, though both are discrete whole
units. Isn't a digital computer made of analog devices using thresholds
to resolve discreteness out of continuity, with a 'seemingly' digital
clock that exponentially rises and falls and 'fluctuates' around its
ensemble average level and frequency? How many agree that analog
computers are more accurate than digital ones? Simply put, what exactly
is the time anywhere anytime?

Cheers
ka