[ExI] Global Warming Skeptics as Interview Subjects?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Oct 1 04:47:21 UTC 2007

At 09:16 PM 9/30/2007 -0700, JC wrote:

>In his discussion on the "Proactionary Principle" at the TransVision 2007
>conference, Max More alluded to his acceptance of Global Warming

You've left out a key modifier: anthropogenic. Dyson, e.g., accepts
that climate is warming, but thinks it's primarily a cycle in solar
oscillations of some sort. Others agree global warming is clearly
evident, but regard the human-added factors variously relevant. If
vagaries of insolation are responsible for a real effect (as hinted
by the synchronous "global warming" on Mars), an obvious technical
fix is a soletta-type "umbrella" or "diffuser" at Earth-Sun
Lagrange-1. Hardly anyone considers this seriously, least of all
those for whom our presumed plight is a wake-up call to moral virtue,
technical modesty and belt-tightening. I see some resemblances here
to medical and ecclesiastical opposition to anesthetic relief during
childbirth--women were *meant* to suffer, damn it!

Damien Broderick