[ExI] macdac's rocket scientists

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 11:46:39 UTC 2007

On 10/1/07, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> In fact, "science" has a rather peculiar usage in English. In Neolatin
> languages, "rocket scientist" cannot even be literally translated, because
> engineering, as practical medicine, are considered "know-hows", distinct as
> such from the sciences they are based on, as speaking a language is distinct
> from philology...

Hmmm.
Well, in French, 'rocket scientist' is 'scientifique de fusée', which
literally is 'scientist of rocket or missile'.  'rocket engineer'
translates to 'ingénieur de fusée', which literally is 'engineer of
rocket or missile'.

So I think the phrase can be literally translated.
But maybe you are making the subtle distinction, which applies across
many languages and societies, that 'scientist' means different things
to different people.
Just like 'doctor' means something different to an American and a Zulu.

BillK