[ExI] robugs

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 12:00:44 UTC 2007

On 10/10/07, Spike wrote:

> Damien Broderick in his book Transcension, describes bees that are made into
> robots for the purpose of spying on or otherwise influencing people.
> According to the Daily Koz, DARPA is already there.
>
> http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/10/9/10118/4071

You can take your tin-foil hat off, Spike.
They actually were big dragon flies. They are often seen in Washington.

Kos was just quoting a rubbish Washington Post article.

1) Why use an expensive experimental insect camera on anti-war
protesters? It was a public protest where ordinary cameras (with
telephoto lenses if necessary) could legally be used and produce much
better quality photos.
2) I thought protesters liked cameras to document police brutality?
3) How come nobody photographed these insect spies? I thought
everybody had at least cell-phone cameras nowadays. And, at a protest,
surely cameras would be widely used? The article showed stock photos
and video from their files, not from the protest.
4) An 'expert' said that several were seen flying in unison and
dragonflies never do that. Well, not normally, but they do when they
are trying to mate. :)
4) The problem with flapping insect sized experimental drones is that
the flight time is very short. Fixed wing, propeller driven drones
have longer flight times and are already used in Iraq.
<http://www.avinc.com/UAS_products.asp>
5) Maybe somebody has been to RadioShack?
<http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032406&cp=2032062.2032402&allCount=38&fbc=1&f=PAD%2FProduct+Type%2FAir&fbn=Type%2FAir>

BillK