[ExI] pentagon wants orbiting solar power stations

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Sat Oct 13 03:44:25 UTC 2007

In what form is the energy being beamed back to Earth?

If Microwaves or lasers this sounds like it could easily be used as a war
machine making it a high value
target in any conflict we are likely to find ourselves in.

Also if the targeting system was ever hacked or malfunctioned it could
become a more powerful terrorist weapon than an
atomic bomb by lighting major cities a blaze or bombarding highly populated
areas with intense microwaves.

I would love for this form of power be the solution to all of our energy
problems but I can't see this happening without
major opposition from other countries and skeptics who would fear the worst
perhaps with good reason.

I understand that the government would build in lots of failsafe mechanisms.
But sell other countries and the average
American on the infallibility of such a system would be nearly impossible.

When I compare this in my mind to new nuclear designs, the nuclear seems a
lot less controversial and easier to
implement and we're have trouble getting any of those approved.

>> Hey, cool!

...According to the report, "a single kilometer-wide band of geosynchronous
earth orbit experiences enough solar flux in one year to nearly equal the
amount of energy contained within all known recoverable conventional oil
reserves on Earth today."

{8-]