[ExI] pentagon wants orbiting solar power stations

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sat Oct 13 18:03:44 UTC 2007

At 12:07 AM 10/13/2007, samantha wrote:
>Does anyone know what the danger is from geosynchronous "space junk"?
>I would expect most of the junk is in lower orbits but it seems like a
>good thing to know in planning such a large orbital project.

If you are *in* GEO, it's all going the same speed.

But re "junk," a critical part of a space elevator project would be
to clean up as much as you could, both because you don't want it
banging into and cutting the cables and because you *need* the junk
for the space elevator counterweight.

If you have more junk than you need, you store it at the GEO
station.  Very large masses at GEO make the consequences of a cable
cut less of a problem.

Keith