[ExI] How to get a healthy country

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Wed Oct 17 06:27:35 UTC 2007

On Oct 16, 2007, at 10:14 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> It's not clear what you are referring to here. Would you say that it
> easier to detect and treat lung cancer or emphysema than try to
> reduce the rate of smoking in a country, for example?

Lifestyle modification is not preventative medicine in the sense that
it is usually used when discussing policy.  Yes, you could
hypothetically legislate all junk food out of the country and mandate
regular exercise, but would that be preventative medicine?  Note that
this is one of the other reasons some people cast a jaundiced eye on
expansive mandatory universal preventative medicine -- it is easy to
imagine something like this happening because there is precedent
under similar auspices.

Preventative medicine usually refers to regular checkups,
diagnostics, vaccinations, etc.  Some of these, like certain
vaccines, have an unambiguous net medical benefit.  But for many
other types of common preventative medicine the total cost to society
of universal access significantly exceeds the total cost of not doing
it at all.  Now, as a wealthy society we have the luxury of
individually engaging in economically dubious preventative medicine
and we engage in it prodigiously, but if you make it mandatory and
universal would it be just to make everyone pay for an economically
foolish expenditure?

The real tradeoff is this:  we can spend lots and lots of money on
extensive universal preventative care, or we can spend a lot less
money on very basic preventative care and spend the balance on very
advanced diagnostics (like all those MRIs) and treatments.  In terms
of health outcomes, the latter choice is better.  But people really
like their preventative care even if the benefit is dubious, so it is
politically potent, never mind the problem of incentives.

The reason this is such a hard issue is that no one wants to make
tradeoffs.  Are you willing to reduce your own average healthcare
outcome in order to help ensure equality of access?  Since no one is
suggesting massively increasing healthcare spending (and independent
of the question of systemic inefficiency), this is the question that
needs to be answered.  If it would be detrimental to the healthcare
outcomes of the majority of people, would it even be just?  I am okay
with people proposing the universal healthcare, but let's not pretend
that it does not have some serious downsides with real consequences
for average people.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers