[ExI] How to get a healthy country

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Wed Oct 17 07:34:56 UTC 2007

On Oct 16, 2007, at 11:47 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> On 17/10/2007, J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:
>> Odd.  Public universal education in the US (a 20th century invention)
>> did not significantly improve educational outcomes but it *massively*
>> increased cost.  Far more tax dollars are spent on education than
>> defense, but an argument could be made that the latter has been much
>> more efficient at producing results.
>
> Are you saying that people were just as well educated in the
> nineteenth century?

19th century Americans were exceptionally literate by all accounts,
due in large part to a confluence of social and cultural pressures
that demanded literacy from all individuals as a matter of basic
decency and went to great lengths to ensure that everyone was decent
in that sense.  A number of foreign historians of the period marveled
at it, and the printing and publishing records of the period strongly
suggest it.  I think it was Alexis de Tocqueville (circa 1830) who
wrote something to the effect that the street urchins were as well-
educated as the aristocrats in Europe.  Some of my very old relatives
that I have met were common rural folk that were educated before the
availability of public education but it did not stop them from
getting science and engineering degrees from good universities.  It
is an anecdote and all of those relatives have died over the last
couple decades, but it indicates to me that the pre-public system was
not exactly poor.  It is a pity education is not valued nearly as
much today in American culture as it was back then.

The history of education in the US is unique and pretty interesting;
I do not know of any other country with an education history quite
like it.  The advent of public education was the result of political
power plays; it was forced on a population that neither wanted it nor
saw a use for it.  The results were widely considered deplorable
relative to the non-public alternative at the time and little seems
to have changed, but laws were passed that made it the only choice
for all practical purposes.

US history is a bit unintuitive.  Virtually every government
institution we have today was invented at some point in the 20th
century, but it feels like they've been there since the beginning.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers