[ExI] abandoning hope

giovanni santost santostasigio at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 15:46:28 UTC 2007

Ok,
made a mistake
the original Dante version is:
Lasciate ogne speranza voi ch'intrate

ogne and intrate are both old italian spellings

I did some google search and it seems that in old italian writings people used the modern ogni in different forms; ogna (singular femminine), ogne (plural femminine) and so on... Well, italian was not really coded in strict grammatical rules at that time, basically Dante and other middle writers were making the language up at that moment...
I imagine the other forms died out and just ogni now is used in modern Italian,
I guess this is enough Italian grammar for one day for most people in this list...
But Dante is really cool (I love Benigni's spin on him)....

Anna Taylor <femmechakra at yahoo.ca> wrote: --- Giu1i0 Pri5c0
 wrote:

> "Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch' entrate"
>
> I would translate it as "abandon every hope" or
> "abandon any hope".
>
> The fun thing is that when Amara moved to Italy a
> few years ago I told
> her that this sentence, written in capital letters,
> appears on the
> exit door of the airport for those who enter Italy.
>
> G.

Well when entering Quebec, we say Bonjour:)
Anna:)

http://mail.yahoo.com