[ExI] free-will, determinism, crime and punishment (& CS techniques - Security and/or Privacy )

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Sep 3 10:26:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 06:04:10AM -0400, Gary Miller wrote:

> It is one thing to reiterate that a thread is dead as a moderator that is
> within your rights.
>
> But to reply publicly and in doing so to promote your own viewpoint when you

My viewpoint is that this was a moronic thread, and I apologize for not
nipping it in the butt (yip! yip!) -- I can't camp in front of the
display all day long, after all. (Or can I?)

> expect others to not reply
> because the thread has been declared dead by you is in my opinion an abuse
> of power.
>
> I realize that you took the moderator position because nobody else wanted
> it, and I thank you for that I think, but
> I would suggest that you do not put out fires by fanning the flames.
>
> I also think the tone of the reply was rather insulting and would have
> expected a better showing from a moderator
> representing this group.

I reserve the right to poke fun at particularly idiotic posters.

> Currently this sounds more like censorship and punishment of opposing
> viewpoint than moderation.

I must admit my first impulse was to put the guy on moderation, but I
figured he probably missed the killthread.