[ExI] reconnect

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Mon Sep 10 20:40:30 UTC 2007

At 11:50 AM 9/10/2007, billk wrote:

snip

>Genocide is defined as the deliberate and systematic destruction of an
>ethnic, religious or national group. It is very likely that religious
>motivations will be called in to justify the slaughter.
>
>But I think you probably need to get Keith Henson to comment on the ep
>causes of wars and genocides.

The model is here:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2006/4/17/194059/296

In short the model proposes evolved psychological mechanisms that
turn up the gain on the circulation of xenophobic memes when a
population group foresees a bleak future.  The xenophobic memes (very
often of the religious meme class) serve to synch a group's warriors
for an attack on neighbors.  The model makes a number of predictions
about where wars are likely to happen and what side will start
them.  It accounts for situations from the dying out of the IRA to
the intractable problems in the middle east.

>And governments aren't the cause. They
>may be necessary, but are not sufficient on their own.

True.  Chimpanzees carry out genocides against neighboring bands
waging something akin to wars and do it without what we would
recognize as a government.

Keith