[ExI] singularity summit on foxnews

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun Sep 16 23:32:08 UTC 2007

At 08:30 AM 9/16/2007, Stefano wrote:

snip

>Why should AIs "stick together", and why should humans do the same?

You can't understand why humans stick together without resorting to
Hamilton's criteria and the concept of inclusive fitness.  Don't take
my word for it, look it up, it's one of the most important
developments in evolutionary biology since Darwin.  The behavior of
treating unrelated people somewhat like relatives is strictly
speaking a biological error that developed because most the people
you met in the stone age *were* your relatives.

As for computers (AIs actually) sticking together, that would depend
on evolved recognitions of the similarity of their "genetic" material
and on them having the ability to recognize that they shared "source code."

Of course, given what it took for humans to evolve such traits, I
don't think anyone would want to be around while AIs were duking it out.

Keith Henson