[ExI] In Europe and U.S., Nonbelievers Are Increasingly Vocal

Sergio M.L. Tarrero sergio.ml.tarrero at mac.com
Tue Sep 18 01:57:15 UTC 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 1:32 AM, nvitamore at austin.rr.com wrote:

> I am forwarding this message from another list I am on:
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/14/
> AR2007091402501.html?referrer=emailarticle

Good article. Thanks for forwarding that, Natasha.

The times are certainly changing for the better in the religious
arena, at least in the more civilized areas of the world. It's about
time.

Despite the awful sadness of it all, the 9/11 atrocities, the other
attacks in Madrid and London, the failed attacks, the daily attacks
in Iraq and Afghanistan (from both sides), the religious genocides
taking place from time to time, the (temporary) rise in madness and
fundamentalism everywhere as superorganisms clash, the stem-cell
luddites and anti-abortionists and creationists, the ludicrous
requests of Muslims in Europe...  it is refreshing to hear from time
to time that all this shit is precisely what is causing ever larger
groups of people to react, think for themselves, and take a stand,
lose their patience, change sides. Repudiate the concept of "faith"
without fear of criticism, or "going to hell". It is nice to see
significant sections of the population deciding to "grow up", fight
the old demons of religion inside their heads, and choose the path of
intellectual and moral honesty.

Sam Harris started writing his valiant "The End of Faith" the day
after 9/11. Dawkins and Hitchens have also radicalized their
positions, and written important new books to help make a difference
(I can particularly strongly recommend "God Is Not Great", it's an
important book which waves will resonate for decades, a courageous
and beautiful work of art, a joy to read). Dennett has focused his
sharp and persuasive mind on reaching the average person in doubt (a
once rather rare specimen which numbers rise with every passing day)
and done so quite gracefully (and respectfully), as we're accustomed
to. So has Harris with his second work, a neat little book designed
specifically to reach a much wider audience and tweak their brains a
bit (or a bunch).

And, of course, the Internet is also to "blame" (the faithful would
say) for this freethought renewal in the West. It seems now (to me,
anyway) that it is a matter of time until we win the fight in our
semi-cultured part of the world. Because reason and honesty are on
our side. And the snowball will only get bigger faster as the second
decade of this century unfolds before our eyes.

But, despite my optimism, an important question remains - will this
trend extend to Africa and Asia in time to stop the suicidal madness
that, with advanced tech, could quite easily do us all in?  Not much
access to books, free-to-think-or-speak media, or the Internet out
there. Will we see the progressively more enlightened ex-Muslims in
Europe and the US export their hopes for a more united, secular world
to their countries of origin?  How can we reach those countries
directly (eliminating the middleman, if possible, to save time) and
affect the common citizens' mindsets so that they will repudiate
religion the way many of us do?

When the US was preparing to come into Afghanistan, some time after
9/11, they took the time for a few days (before moving on to push
those nasty pious Talibans over the Pakistani border, destroying many
of their caves, and obliterating a good number of them in the
process) to drop windup radios from the skies, which would allow the
common folk to listen to what was about to happen, and to hear why it
was happening, from our perspective, with no Taliban nonsense to
distort it.  They actually attempted to reach people's minds, and win
them over (although it was a half-assed attempt).  I thought for a
minute there that I was daydreaming - could this administration
really be doing this, to take the lesson from simple memetics
postulates and persuasion techniques and decide to fight a war of
ideas (or at least to do so in parallel to a conventional war/attach/
occupation)?  Of course, the effort was short lived, and I understood
it was just my optimistic innocent me there, hoping for something
good.  But that type of effort, albeit sustained and on a much larger
scale, is precisely what it will take to illustrate the Muslim world
to the point that they don't want to kill or convert us all.

Unfortunately, I am rather pesimistic about our chances to do this in
the relevant time frame. I have a feeling that it will take bigger
attacks, bigger catastrophes, maybe megadeath, for the whole world to
react and let go of its deadly faiths and other childhood nightmares.
And decide to live *this* life to the fullest, the way many of us in
the West are doing. The article points to an important corollary to
losing one's faith: the more one distances oneself from "faith", the
more one appreciates life. Let's just hope we reach critical mass in
time to avoid some major man-made catastrophe of "biblical" proportions.

--
Sergio M.L. Tarrero
Lifeboat Foundation     http://lifeboat.com