[ExI] Fascist America, in 10 Easy Steps

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Fri Sep 28 15:16:03 UTC 2007

At 06:19 PM 9/27/2007, PJ wrote:
>On 9/26/07, Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This isn't new, but it is interesting, I thought some people mightn't
> > have seen it. It'll read as pretty strongly partisan, so get past that
> > if you can. Do you think things are really as bad as she describes?
>
>Naomi Wolf and Naomi Klein need to get together.  See Naomi Klein's
>The Shock Doctrine:
>
>http://www.naomiklein.org/shock-doctrine
>
>In a word, Emlyn, my answer is 'yes.'
>
>But remember this: even fascists believe they're doing the right
>thing.  They balance what they and the country gain by their actions
>against what they and the country might lose if they refrained.
>Hence, their behavior.

Naomi Wolf, in my opinion, built a persuasive thesis but I did not go
for it.  I would have preferred she write about how elements of a
hip-hop/gangster-rap subculture manipulates women into becoming sex
slaves.  The idea of beauty and women wanting to be beautiful reaches
far beyond the corner that Wolf paints it into.  I for one have
always honored women who strive to be beautiful and groom themselves
to look their best.  Yes, I have simplified her theory, but I didn't
like it from the get-go and I don't like it now.  Again, she struck
out at a segment of society that was seemed to want to be smacked
down, relying on women needed to be punished and feel guilty for
their pleasures, and she lessened the historical value of beauty for
beauty's sake.

Now, about this Naomi Klein.  I admire her on-camera presence and
articulation.  Isn't she is applying disaster engineering to combat
disaster capitalism.  This is a technique used with Critical Art
Ensemble and which I deplore because it heightens information for
effect.  In filmmaking, drama pools in the audience and the more
dramatic, the more the audience surrenders its individuality while
being scooped up and driven by the filmic method of narrative and
effect.  I would like to see her go head to head with Virginia Prostrel.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
PhD Candidate, Planetary Collegium -University of Plymouth - Faculty
of Technology,
School of Computing, Communications and Electronics, Centre for
Advanced Inquiry in the Interactive Arts

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the
circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what
is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is
an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller