[ExI] EP and Peak oil

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 12:39:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:29 AM, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience at pobox.com>
wrote:

> Lee, the world is 40 years behind where it should be on nuclear power
> as a direct result of anti-rationalist environmentalist meddling in
> government.

Not to mention simple inertia and short-sightedness. It gives one pause to
consider that eventually to establish the ITER project, for a total cost of
less than *one fiftieth* - if I am not mistaken - of the last Iraq party, it
has taken a decade and a joint-venture amongst ten different major
government.

Things have changed a lot, and not always for the best, since the era of
Project Manhattan, Project Apollo, Project Human Genome, and so forth. And
sponsorship of fundamental research in Europe is becoming a joke, a footnote
in governmental budgets, while researchers are being starved,as Amara knows
only too well, to the advantage of bankers, brokers, managers and their
fashion stylists. :-(

Stefano Vaj