[ExI] EP and Peak oil.

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 16:13:44 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Gary Miller wrote:
<snip>
>  My biggest fear of such a technology is that it would be to easy to knock
>  totally out of operation in war time.  And would be devastating to any
>  economy depending on that energy source. Maybe by making such a system the
>  property of the world or a large group of developed nations it would prevent
>  any nation at war with one of the countries depending on that energy source
>  from making it a target and risking the wrath of the other nations.

That is not the only danger. It becomes a single point of failure for
our civilization.
That is too big a risk.

It would be like building one huge nuclear power station for the whole
of the US. Too much centralisation is 'a bad thing'.  You would have
to shut the country down for weeks to repair a major fault.

Distributed energy sources is the failsafe way to go. Future buildings
covered with solar cells, etc. become self-sufficient, with power
stations used to supply factories and big energy consumers.

BillK