[ExI] New Hope for Alzheimer's Disease Vaccine

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 13:35:22 UTC 2008

>  That is what is happening. And there is only one system that
>  anyone has ever heard of that can attempt to deal with this
>  kind of complexity. (It happens, not coincidentally, to be a
>  derivative of "freedom", "freedom" in the sense of being able
>  to take action without some bureaucrat or other superior
>  interfering.)  But dare I mention the mechanism by which
>  desires could be translated in infinite variety into preferences?
>
>  No, I dare not, lest we have another unending thread concerning
>  the superiority of government run solutions.

Most of the basic science breakthroughs which have ultimately given us
the medical care we enjoy has been publicly funded, and elaborate
bureaucratic hoops have had to be jumped through to obtain that
funding. Moreover, although they need money for equipment, most of the
scientists doing this research have not been pursuing personal profit
(it's crazy to go into research if that's what you want), but the
approval of their peers. The free market only has a role to play when
someone catches wind of a marketable product.

--
Stathis Papaioannou