[ExI] Technological Singularity

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Wed Apr 9 02:44:39 UTC 2008

At 01:10 PM 4/8/2008, Thomas Pardy wrote:
>I've been looking for a place to share my thoughts about
>transhumanism, which I consider the best-case scenarion for the
>future. Among a dozen thoughts I have now one question: what do you
>all know or think about the possible technological singularity. Some
>scientists state that such a large leap will take place in the near
>future (<30 years) that there is no way of predicting the impact.
>For those interested: a logarithmic plot was drawn to show the
>greatest inventions of humanity and somewhere it has to reach zero
>where it evidently can't (elementary maths) and this singularity is
>about to come. If the question has been raised, sorry, I've just
>joined recently. Anyway, I'd be interested to see any valuable info about this.

The singularity and its various aspects such as nanotechnology and AI
have been discussed on this and related lists such as sl4 for close
to two decades.  You would be well advised to look into the archives here:

http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/

Other places are

http://www.sl4.org/

There is a vast store of information
here:  http://www.kurzweilai.net/index.html?flash=1

As well as in Ray Kurzweil's book "The Singularity is Near."

My own opinion of the subject is the result of knowing Dr Eric
Drexler from even before his first paper on nanotechnology.

I frankly doubt physical state humans will survive the
singularity.  It's such a hard subject to discuss that I finally
turned to fiction.

http://www.terasemjournals.org/GN0202/henson.html

Your IP address is interesting.  Hungary?

Keith Henson