[ExI] Health system, again

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 12:11:48 UTC 2008

>  > I have no idea why nobody wants to address this issue.
>  > If Drs are in such short supply, maybe allowing more
>  > into medical school
>

> It's enough to make me gag.  *Allowing* more into whatever.
>  And this in a supposedly free country.

The doctors have a vested interest, of course, in controlling their
numbers. They do this by convincing government, but more importantly
by convincing potential patients, that only those who have completed
training specially blessed by the medical profession are competent to
deliver medical care. In the jurisdiction where I live, for example,
it is not actually illegal for any person to perform surgery; it is
only illegal for that person to mislead the patient into thinking that
he is a doctor. But of course, only crazy people would let a
non-medico operate on them. The doctors thereby maintain a closed shop
through, essentially, very good advertising.

--
Stathis Papaioannou