[ExI] Most Critical Review of Transhumanism

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Wed Apr 9 15:36:10 UTC 2008

At 12:17 AM 4/9/2008, Fred wrote:

>On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 19:33 -0400, nvitamore at austin.rr.com wrote:
> > But like others who cut and
> > past information, Haava writes a quick flashback on the history of
> > transhumanism with lots of mistakes.
>
>As I was reading that I was reminded that if you do not write your own
>history then someone will do it.  It might be a worthwhile project to
>collect the various parts of early Extropian, transhumanist and related
>history.

Much of this was compiled by ExI with the help of Mitch Porter.  I
have an assistant researcher who has been scanning the environment
for current material.  It is a big job to be sure.  But the only way
that any of this can be meaningful is to have it in a number of
books,  not just one.  And since some academics favor an aborted and
bastardized version of history, it has to be presented in that venue as well.

It is all our responsibility.  And it is our responsibility to insist
that organizations who put up FAQs and other material do not erase
ExI, Max More, and the rest of us in order to promote their own
versions of transhumanism.  1000 flowers blooming is lovely indeed,
but they did come from a seed which was intentionally planted.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More,
BFA, MS, MPhil
University Lecturer
PhD Candidate, Planetary Collegium - University of Plymouth - Faculty
of Technology
School of Computing, Communications and Electronics
Centre for Advanced Inquiry in the Interactive Arts

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the
circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what
is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is
an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller