[ExI] Uploading and selfhood (explication)

Michael Miller ain_ani at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 21:15:53 UTC 2008

Hi Jef, thanks for the criticism. I'm not 100% sure what it is you're saying, or to where precisely the critique is aimed. However, half of me wants to answer that it is indeed purely philosophical navel-gazing. That is largely what I'm interested in ;)

However the other half feels very tempted to respond thusly:  The attempt to find a full and developed understanding of the human condition - and especially one's own place within this - is necessarily the first step towards any kind of action. Pragmatism which is done without this first step having been correctly implemented will often lead to disastrous results. There are always assumptions behind any action, one of the philosopher's jobs is to bring those assumptions to light so they can be questioned. I definitely don't think that arbitrariness is part of the picture. I think the relocation of human consciousness within its domain of subjectivity (this word is becoming very overused and I fear is beginning to fail us, or at least me) is essential - the struggle for objectivity and the apparent desire to place 'minds' within an objective reality (rather than accepting the two as complementary poles of a single system) seems very dangerous and has lead
 to the belief that all of value can be described best by the scientific method.

I don't deny "reality", if this is your implication. I am not a solipsist. But, it is not here that the most important things happen. And neither is it in the individual mind. The most important arena is the point where minds meet and create the social strata, which is where meaning is generated, and our thoughts are conditioned by the interpersonal forces mediating between reality and the individual (because, none of us approach the world alone...we all exist within the sphere of culture which gives meaning to our thoughts).

But yes, point taken I think...this is one of the more abstract conversations I've had, but I still think how we go about forming our ideas of the world is of crucial importance to any kind of decision-making.

Mike

PS - Postmodernist mental masturbation. I quite like this. I think the pretend solidities of modernism needed to be challenged by a world-view slightly more fluid and dynamic. Mysticism only really succeeds when it ceases being vague and imbues a light bright enough to be guided by.