[ExI] The L5 Society ( was: EP and Peak oil.)

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at insightbb.com
Fri Apr 11 00:37:00 UTC 2008

I've been following this thread for some time and have so far managed to
fight off the urge to comment. But I hadn't yet seen any mention of
protecting this trillion dollar behemoth from natural and unnatural
disasters. micrometeorites that our atmosphere eats up could tear one of
these to pieces. The chance is slim of course, but the target is larger
than most satellites and when your one shot is worth that much money you
would have to find ways to make those odds even better, not worse. Also,
your rocket would have to been man-rated or better to provide that extra
level of caution. How many successful test launches would you require of
a new launch vehicle before you stick a 1 TRILLION dollar payload on it?
How much more will these test launches and additional developments cost?
Wouldn't it make more sense to put hundreds or even thousands of much
smaller satellites into orbit? Then the loss of one isn't so dramatic
and you could use profits to bootstrap the project with much lower up
front development costs.