[ExI] The L5 Society ( was: EP and Peak oil.)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 11:13:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 5:28 AM, hkhenson wrote:
>  We might be able to sell a rocket based power sat project to the
>  bankers and bureaucrats, but not space based industry.  Sorry

The problem with multi trillion dollar projects is that they rapidly
turn into pork barrel boondoggles. Everybody wants their share of the
loot. A project like this won't be run by half a dozen geek
enthusiasts. It will be run by huge bureacracies spread across every
state, all trying to get more funds funnelled to their part of the
organisation.

How about using these vast sums of money to pay 75% of the cost of
installing domestic solar power systems and windmills?  PV systems are
improving year on year and the return on investment is also improving.
As more PV systems get installed, the requirement for more power
stations gradually winds down.

Sure, it's boring. But it is known technology that works now. Just do it!

BillK