[ExI] Scientists predict rise of the nanobots advanced ai technology by 2029

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 22:35:57 UTC 2008

Spence,

I am a little disappointed--- you guys could have asked me to set up an
interview with Ray. Additionally, there's a number of important,
interesting contributors to the posthuman concept here in Austin that I
visit with monthly to discuss the technological and social
implementation of these ideas. Maybe emphasizing the local aspects of
it would be more relevant to a high school newspaper, if at all. That
being said, I think there are some corrections that should be made.

I am also forwarding this message over to some transhumanist mailing
lists for further discussion if you'd like to join in.

Scientists Predict Rise of the Nanobots Advanced AI Technology by 2029
by Lauren Williams
Editor-in-Chief

The scientists who are predicting this include Fretias, Drexler, Merkle,
but to my knowledge Kurzweil isn't actually directly participating in
the science/tech, he's the The Singularity is Near guy. I have a copy
of his 2005 book if you are interested. And I have a video of one of
Fretias' presentations at Alcor (the cryonic suspension organization in
Arizona). http://alcor.org/

> Current advances in nanotechnology have scientists believing that by

Not really - only a very small minority. Wish it was more. :)

> the year 2029, computers will be as smart as humans, and that small
> robots called nanobots will be implanted into human brains and will
> help make humans smarter and healthier.

Perhaps. But the problem with portraying it like this is that it's fear
mongering. People don't need to be afraid of this technology: nobody is
going to run around inserting these things into people who don't want
it.

> "We're already a human machine civilization, we use our technology to
> expand our physical and mental horizons and this will be a further
> extension of that," inventor and futurist Raymond Kurzweil said.

> Nanobots are predicted to enter brains through capillaries and

It's whatever we design them to do.

> interact with biological neurons. Variations of interactions are
> thought to bring about positive responses, such as strengthening of
> the immune system and stimulation of portions of the brain that deal
> with intelligence and memory. Another hope for great thinkers is the
> eradication of disease through nanotechnology.

Only some diseases. The problem is that we are not able to tell when one
thing is a disease and another thing isn't, so we need to be careful
and do very specific molecular sensors.

> While there are a number of different factors that could prevent this
> utopia from becoming a reality, one cannot deny that this generation

Nothing about utopia here.

> is 21 years away from a cyber revolution and this is one of the
> greatest technological advances of our time; the first step to
> becoming a machine automated society.

Please check out the relevant websites:
http://transhumanism.org/
http://kurzweilai.net/
http://lifeboat.com/
http://alcor.org/
http://imminst.org/
and many others (just ask- I have thousands of bookmarks)

Also, on my website I run the transhumanist technical roadmap group, we
specialize in transhumanist technologies, such as self-replicating
machines (nanobots but not necessarily nano), brain implants, genetic
engineering, do-it-yourself synthetic biology, and it's all open
source / free. For example, here's the website for the biohacking
project where you can download the files *right now* to get started:

http://biohack.sf.net/
http://heybryan.org/mediawiki/

- Bryan