[ExI] bin Laden's background

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sat Apr 12 21:15:12 UTC 2008

An excellent source praised from writers across the entire
political spectrum is "The Looming Tower: Al Qaeda and
the Road to 9/11" by Lawrence Wright. His mini-biographies
of Bin Laden, Mohammed bin Laden (his father), and the
whole rather remarkable family are very thorough.

I was quite touched by the story of Qutb, who came to
America in 1948 to learn about it, lived in the small town
of Greeley, Colorado, and thought it paradise except for
the appalling behavior of the Americans who, though
very kind and polite, were so profane and sacrilegious
from his point of view. (And that was mid-west America
in the 1940s!)  Then he returned home, and wrote books
that started the whole thing off.

Lee