[ExI] Health system, again

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 13:29:54 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:

>  Your remark about "institutions dead nearly 150 years ago" does not take
>  into account de jure segregation that existed in parts of the USA into the
>  1960s, and many instances of de facto segregation since then.  Those
>  institutions are interrelated - and not all dead.

### But given the context of this discussion - note that the Jim Crow
laws were enacted by, guess what, the government. So the high
likelihood that immoral laws would be enacted because of regulatory
capture is another argument *against* the government. In case of
slavery, regulatory capture was achieved by a minority of wealthy
landowners who maintained the system long after it became unpopular
among the majority of Southern population. Slavery wouldn't have
survived as long as it did if not for the existence of the US
government.

Rafal

>  Not that they're exempt from condemnation, but many "non-western nations"
>  out there now don't pretend to be democracies - we USAmericans are (and
>  were) supposed to be a democracy.  That put us then (and puts us now) at a
>  different, and higher, standard.
>
>  I am an immigrant (and naturalized citizen) of the USA.  I like it here.  I
>  can't think of any other place I'd rather live.  I like the idea of "nation
>  of nations" that we have going here.  I would like to see this country
>  strive for greatness - but, in looking at the past, you're not going to find
>  it (IMHO).
>
>  To garble a phrase Quentin Crisp used in The Naked Civil Servant:  There was
>  no great shining country (and no shining city on the hill, either - except
>  in Ronald Reagan movies).
>
>  Olga

Rafal Smigrodzki, MD-PhD
Chief Clinical Officer,
Gencia Corporation
706 B Forest St.

Charlottesville, VA 22903

tel: (434) 295-4800

fax: (434) 295-4951

This electronic message transmission contains information from the
biotechnology firm of Gencia Corporation which may be confidential or
privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use
of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have
received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us by
telephone (434-295-4800) or by electronic mail
(fportell at genciabiotech.com) immediately.