[ExI] harlotry again

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 16:30:53 UTC 2008

Ben wrote/quoted from the magazine interview:
"I don't see it as a terrible thing. It's something I drifted into by
chance. I never judged girls who worked as escorts and was always
fascinated by it. There is this huge stigma attached to escorting but I
don't see it like that"

"I'm still young and I can't decide on what I want to do in the future.
My escorting work provides me with a fabulous life and I don't want to
give it up just yet."

"I have a nice life - I don't want for anything and I'm in control. I
haven't had much freedom in my life and I'm enjoying it."

Doesn't sound like someone with horrific emotional and self-esteem
problems to me!

More like an extremely intelligent girl who's decided to take control of
her own life and do what she wants to do. More power to her, I say.

Well..., I suppose then she was not the horribly exploited/totally
self-destructive woman I had envisioned.  It's sounds like her life was more
along the lines of Ashley Dupre.  I had thought the former Oxford
student was more of a "low-end" hooker and for many of them life is hell.
But in the links that Spike gave, it was clear that both of the young women
came from very broken/dysfunctional homes.  I wonder how many high-end
prostitutes come from happy families? hmmm...  It would make for an
interesting study.

Spike wrote:
I just don't get it.  A harlot with whom one could actually carry on
meaningful conversation (possibly even about mathematics!) and yet no
premium pricetag?  Someone do explain.

It does seem strange.  Perhaps the former Oxford student does not/did not
have a full understanding of her full market value if she went after the
right customer demographic.  But this also might be a sign of hidden low
self-esteem.  I'm not so sure she is the happy and self-actualizing person
you take her for.

Ben wrote:
My impression is that she is definitely not messed-up, and has not been
driven to 'degrade herself' (do you regard prostitution, per se, to be a
degrading career?).

I think even at the high-end of prostitution, it is for many women (at least
to some extent) a distasteful thing (depending in part on the
customer/situation).  Perhaps there are some women who have a personal
psychology that allows them to find the work engaging and even fun.  I would
say despite even the "glitter" of high-end prostitution, it is at some
level degrading.  Perhaps I am an old-fashioned romantic who believes sex
should be between two people with real feelings of deep affection/love (or
at least lust!) between them.  I suspect a century from now we will see a
publicly accepted and updated version of the ancient Greek Hetaira (many
current politicians would love to see that day!, lol).  I wonder to what
extent academics have explored the world of prostitution (especially at the
high-end).  What I mainly know of the topic is about the poor benighted
street walkers.

John