[ExI] Slavery Now and in the Past

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Apr 15 11:41:44 UTC 2008

Olga and Rafal both make good points.

But I've been meaning to address something else for a while.  Earlier this
year someone here opined that the main reason that slavery was
ended in the west was that it was becoming economically unviable.

In fact, it was a moral revolution among people mainly in Brittain,
and to a lesser extent in the U.S.  At no trifling cost, the British
people supported their navy in the early 1800s patroling up and
down the African coast. Slavery was ended in the West because
those people (yessss, I'll dare say it, the most culturally advanced
in the world at the time), reviled it.

And a bit later, it could be said that the Abolitionists in the U.S.
caused the War Between the States.

Lee