[ExI] Slavery in the Future

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Apr 19 08:15:42 UTC 2008

On Apr 18, 2008, at 5:48 PM, Bryan Bishop wrote:

> On Friday 18 April 2008, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
>> ### The condition of slavery may be said to exist when the legitimate
>> self-ownership interest of a person is infringed on by violent means.
>> A self-ownership interest is created when a sentient process develops
>> a desire to control its own goal-oriented behavior. If a sentient
>
> What is ownership, and prove to me that it is a property of the
> universe, except in socio-stuff.

In ethics we are concerned with a much more narrow domain than
"property of the universe".  Ownership is one way of expressing that
an intelligent agent  needs the freedom to make decisions based on its
intelligence and act on them (ownership of its mind and actuators/
body) if it is going to be maximally effective towards its goals.
All other types of property rights grow out of this core right /
need / essential for maximal well-being.   An extension comes from how
groups of such entities may most peacefully and productively inter-
relate which is the field of ethics and thus politics.

- samantha