[ExI] property

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 15:46:00 UTC 2008

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Tom Nowell wrote:
> call "culture" and some call "memes". Judging by
> primate behaviour, I think ownership is too deeply
> hardwired into our brain to be considered learned.

That's an interesting approach, mentioning the biological substrate of
territorial behavior and other such ideas; in truth, it is something
both learned and moderately 'innate' in the sense that you will flinch
when you are poked with a hot stick, and learned in the sense that the
Native Americans were able to go along fairly smoothly without much
property issues [occassionally?]. I am *not* talking about communism
here, for anybody about to pull out that word on me. Instead, perhaps
it would be possible to modify our brains so that the concept of
ownership can be, in some way, hacked. It is somewhat like a lie: you
may think you 'own' something and that your ownership of it will cause
other people to do things, but this is not necessarily true, consider
the cases of parents stealing from children, or using the recent
Slavery thread, a slaveowner stealing from his slaves? Oh, but that's
right, the slaves weren't human -- the justification in the old South
of the U.S. was that slaves were completely 'inferior' beings, that
they were not truly human. So you get to make up reasons why somebody
doesn't get to 'own' something ... see the cases of children being
taken from their mothers or fathers in divorces, see the cases of homes
being taken from so-called owners (dwellers) when an outside 'majority'
(read: group with pitchforks/weapons/strength) can come in and enforce
their options. Hopefully it will never come to that, but if we could
modify our brains we might be able to remember that these things are
not truly 'owned' and be able to prepare for those terrible sorts of
situations.

- Bryan