[ExI] Slavery in the Future

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 12:51:20 UTC 2008

On 20/04/2008, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I don't see the problem. You just have to program it so that, under
> > certain circumstances, dying is the preferred option.
> >

> Haven't we always programmed ourselves in a similar fashion?

The difference with self-programming (if it were possible; currently
it is only possible to a limited degree) is that we would never
program ourselves to do something we don't want to do. But if someone
else programs us, then we might end up wanting to do something we
previously did not, and moreover we would not want to revert to the
original programming even if we knew that we were being manipulated.

--
Stathis Papaioannou