[ExI] Global Temperatures to Decrease

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Apr 21 03:37:51 UTC 2008

At 09:44 PM 4/20/2008 -0400, Rafal wrote:

>AFAIK, the current hypothesis for why Venus is so hot blames it on the
>absence of functional plate tectonics, which lead to an accumulation
>of carbon dioxide and sulfur oxides well beyond anything that could
>happen on Earth, even if we burn every last piece of coal and squeak
>out the last bubble of methane.

Good points all, and fairly made (but then nobody expects Earth, like
Venus, to go to 740K, c. 460C). I wonder what the max we could
achieve by doing that *is*? Robert Bradbury has expressed concerns
about cooking ourselves with degraded heat from a vast number of
nanoassemblers (even, presumably, if they've gobbled up a lot of CO2
from the air). Rob Freitas once noted:

"A simple calculation (http://www.nanomedicine.com/NMI/6.5.7.htm#p4) of
the hypsithermal limit for Earth, when combined with a few other reasonable
assumptions, suggests that a per capita allocation of about 10 kg of active
nanomachinery will generate about the maximum amount of extra thermal
pollution that our planet can handle without sustaining ecological damage.
This limit or something like it may someday be enshrined in international
law."

Damien Broderick