[ExI] Critarchy

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 12:40:05 UTC 2008

On 20/04/2008, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

>  > I don't see how you could allow courts without allowing everything
>  > else that you don't like about government.
>
>  ### Too little time to address this very interesting issue at length
>  (I am on call and consults are piling up) but I would suggest you
>  investigate "critarchy". You will find some references on the web.

The web references (most spell it with a "k") often refer to Somalia.
I must admit, it is exciting if such an impoverished, war-damaged
country can make a go of anarchism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy_in_Somalia

And from the Wikipedia article on Kritarchy:

"Under kritarchy even courts of law, police forces and other
organizations that look after the day-to-day business of maintaining
law, are denied any power, privilege or immunity that is not in
conformity with natural law.

 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kritarchy)

That all sounds fine, but it begs the question, who decides what is
natural law and what if I don't agree with the decision?

--
Stathis Papaioannou