[ExI] Blackford and Egan on >H

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Apr 23 16:06:07 UTC 2008

See Russell Blackford's blog entry on transhumanism,

http://metamagician3000.blogspot.com/

and especially the comments:

<https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=24761391&postID=3749500042141962458>

where Greg Egan offers remarks such as:

<The word "transhumanism" (or, even worse, "posthumanism") sounds
like a suicide note for the species, which effectively renders it a
political suicide note for any movement by that name. No doubt there
are people prepared to spend 90% of their time and energy explaining
that they didn't *intend* any negative connotations, but this is not
one of those cases where other people will be to blame if
"transhumanists" are reviled as the enemies of humanity on purely
linguistic grounds. It's no use people proclaiming "Please, read my
1,000-page manifesto, don't just look at one word!" The name is
stupid, and anyone who doesn't drop it deserves the consequences.

And I'm not sure quite how much solidarity I'm compelled to have with
someone, just because they've also noticed that we're not going to
see out the millennium with physical substrates identical to those
we've had for the last 200,000 years. People who think their manifest
destiny is to turn Jupiter into computronium so they can play 10^20
characters simultaneously in their favourite RPG are infinitely more
odious and dangerous than the average person who thinks this whole
subject is science-fictional gibberish and would really just like to
have 2.3 children that are members of his/her own species, so long as
they don't have cystic fibrosis and live a slightly better life than
their parents. >

Damien Broderick