[ExI] Fame meat

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Apr 24 02:11:28 UTC 2008

> Bryan Bishop
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Fame meat
>
> On Wednesday 23 April 2008, Kevin Freels wrote:
> > I don't think that the vascularization or the scaffolds are
> an issue.
> > The rules don't specify that it has to be like a chicken muscle. I
> > think it would be fine if we could make sheets, grind them and make
> > chicken nuggets. Maybe McDonald's should get in on the research
> > funding.
>
> The problem with sheets is the surface area to volume issue
> plus dependencies on the amount of nutrients that can be
> supplied to the cells...how many
> slices are you going to need to do in order to get any
> significant output?
>
> - Bryan

Imagine a stack of thin sheets a cm apart with 0.5 cm dimeter thru-holes on
about 4 cm centers.  The stack could be a couple meters deep, giving you a
couple hundred sheets of meat.  Nutrient fluids flow thru the holes to reach
all the stacks.  The stacks are taken apart and harvested by machine after a
week.  You have 200 sheets, say 3 mm thick, two meters on a side, that's
.003*2*2*200 is about 2400 liters of meat, which is about 3000 kg.  How much
is that worth?  How many proles could that feed?  What is 3 tons in beasts?
About 6?  Any beast experts here?  What if it took a month to grow 3 cm?
Six beast-equivalents per month?