[ExI] Alternative Meat Production [WAS Re: Fame meat]

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 22:04:51 UTC 2008

On Thursday 24 April 2008, Kevin Freels wrote:
> The thin sheets would of course have to be on some kind of support.
> One person mentioned a substrate that dissolves, but I have another
> idea. How about making the sheets out of the very nutrients needed to
> grow in the first place. The cells could then be sprayed onto the
> "feed paper" and then they would actually consume the paper while
> replacing it with proper meat cells. Then we may even be able to rid
> ourselves of the entire structure of holes and nutrient delivery and
> only have to concern ourselves with occasional passes of a sprayer
> head that feeds the top and provides water.

How would you make sure that the cells are able to absorb those
materials? Remember, there's some pretty intense metabolism going on
here, so the feed paper concept would only work -- perhaps -- as an
ECM, or artificial extracellular matrix -- provided that your spray is
a feed too, but frankly submersion in a liquid environment makes more
sense so that the hypotonic/isotonic statuses can be maintained.

- Bryan