[ExI] The Dogs of Immortality

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Fri Aug 1 17:45:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 07:32:53PM -0700, Lee Corbin wrote:

> Well, hell yes!  Who would give a damn about the murdered
> woman in that case?  People as well as our legal system, understand
> priorities.

I would think such a committed anti-statist as yourself would be more
wary of sending messages to cops that they could get away with violating
due process.

> But what I don't understand is this.  Usually when the jury reaches
> the wrong verdict, as they did in the Rodney King case against
> the police officers--- can you believe it, in the first trial the jury
> acquited the police officers?  --- the government simply retries the
> case in another jurisdiction.  So why wasn't O. J. Simpson tried

Well, there is this minor thing in the Constitution about no double
jeopardy...

> again for, oh, violating someone's civil rights, or engaging in a

Well, perhaps the civil rights laws (which were used to re-try the King
officers in federal courts) aren't written so as to apply to private
individuals or something.  Wikipedia says the federal trial focused
more on training than the videotape.

> conspiracy, or, (when the government gets desperate) "attempting

Need people to have a conspiracy.

> to evade a guilty verdict", or whatever it takes to convict?

...now yo're being silly.

-xx- Damien X-)