[ExI] Techie question: best/fastest WAN file system solution

Samantha  Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Aug 2 22:14:38 UTC 2008

One thing that I grapple with a lot is how i/we can use network
resources efficiently in at least small steps towards extending our
brains via hardware and the network.   One aspect of this is looking
for and using the most efficient means of having the equivalent of
fast dependable cloud data storage and retrieval. By this I mean
network file system equivalents fully useable by any tools that access
filesystems.   It is very important to me and I imagine a lot of folks
to be able to access our persistent bits from wherever we are given a
network connection.   I have looked at WebDAV, both on my own linux
server and the Mac iDisk.  Pretty slow, especially for browsing
reasonable sized directories of information and opening PDF and media
docs.  Hell, any kind of document save, even small ones, is a bit
tedious.  I tried sshfs but it is if anything a bit slower in my
experience thus far.  Something that automatically cached locally
might be better (the iDisk does some of that).  I haven't pulled out
NFS as my very dated opinion is that it isn't secure enough.  I have
used various offerings that use the Amazon cloud S3 data.  None of
those to date were better than WebDAV.

What do other people use that they think well of?   I would prefer
open solutions but am not totally adverse to putting some money into a
superior solution.

- samantha