[ExI] Techie question: best/fastest WAN file system solution

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Aug 3 23:55:55 UTC 2008

On Aug 2, 2008, at 3:22 PM, Jef Allbright wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Samantha  Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com>
> wrote:
>
>> One thing that I grapple with a lot is how i/we can use network
>> resources
>> efficiently in at least small steps towards extending our brains via
>> hardware and the network.   One aspect of this is looking for and
>> using the
>> most efficient means of having the equivalent of fast dependable
>> cloud data
>> storage and retrieval.
>
> I'm pretty satisfied for now reading/writing Amazon S3 (mainly using
> Python with Boto) for wide-access general storage and for files
> feeding servers running in Amazon EC2, and using a combination of
> rsync and Git over ssh to replicate between workstations (and my
> notebook.)

Specialized non-standard  tool although interesting as possible way to
build such a store on S3.    Using git or svn and rsync is the network
equivalent of copying to a floppy.  OK, that dates me - copying to a
USB stick.    I want something I can treat exactly like a file system
that is as performant as possible from all software that accesses
files on some media.   I can write something that can very efficiently
share structured and non-structured (blob aka file) data but it
wouldn't be universal to all those apps and tools that expect file
access (including random access r/w BTW).

- samantha

- samantha