[ExI] Just to upset the astronomers among us...

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Wed Aug 6 15:19:45 UTC 2008

Emlyn:
>But, the audience... more of them answered "Sun" than "Moon". More!

It's sobering. And I'm not optimistic that the result would be very
much different in other countries (in fact, I think that there would
be a higher percentage of the audience answering 'Sun' if that game
show was in the US).

Thanks for that, though. It helps to bolster the argument that
Education/Public Outreach funds and efforts for/by astronomers
should be increased. btw: I have good support from my SwRI manager
for my efforts in that direction. He thinks that popsci articles
and outreach efforts should have as heavy of a weight in employee
evaluation as the scientific research results. My big SciAm article
about the origin of water on the Earth, the hardest writing I've ever
done (especially since the conclusions are a moving target), is about
finished, thank goodness. When the magazine makes their final editing
and proofs and I know the publication date, I'll inform people here.

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado