[ExI] dark energy and CMB variations

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Aug 7 22:14:48 UTC 2008

http://arxiv.org/abs/0805.2974

Dark Energy Detected with Supervoids and Superclusters

Authors:
<http://arxiv.org/find/astro-ph/1/au:+Granett_B/0/1/0/all/0/1>Benjamin
R. Granett,
<http://arxiv.org/find/astro-ph/1/au:+Neyrinck_M/0/1/0/all/0/1>Mark
C. Neyrinck,
<http://arxiv.org/find/astro-ph/1/au:+Szapudi_I/0/1/0/all/0/1>István
Szapudi (IfA, Hawaii)
(Submitted on 20 May 2008
(<http://arxiv.org/abs/0805.2974v1>v1), last
revised 10 Jul 2008 (this version, v2))
Abstract: The observed apparent acceleration of
the universe is usually attributed to negative
pressure from a mysterious dark energy. This
acceleration causes the gravitational potential
to decay, heating or cooling photons travelling
through crests or troughs of large-scale matter
density fluctuations. This phenomenon, the
late-time integrated Sachs-Wolfe (ISW) effect,
has been detected, albeit at low significance, by
cross-correlating various galaxy surveys with the
Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB). Recently, the
best evidence has come from the statistical
combination of results from multiple correlated
galaxy data sets. Here we show that vast
structures identified in a galaxy survey project
an image onto the CMB; stacking regions aligned
with superclusters produces a hot spot, and
supervoids, a cold spot. At over 4 sigma, this is
the clearest evidence of the ISW effect to date.
For the first time, our findings pin the effect
to discrete structures. The ISW signal from
supervoids and superclusters can be combined with
other cosmological probes to constrain dark
energy and cosmological parameters. In addition,
our findings make it more plausible that the
extreme Cold Spot and other anomalies in the CMB are caused by supervoids.

Comments: 17 pages. For the more technical ApJ
Letter, see
<http://arxiv.org/abs/0805.3695>0805.3695. Also
see <http://ifa.hawaii.edu/cosmowave/supervoids/>this http URL
Subjects: Astrophysics (astro-ph)
Cite as: <http://arxiv.org/abs/0805.2974v2>arXiv:0805.2974v2 [astro-ph]

Submission history

From: Mark C. Neyrinck
[<http://arXiv.org/auth/show-email/74b4d1d3/0805.2974>view email]
<http://arxiv.org/abs/0805.2974v1>[v1] Tue, 20 May 2008 01:46:10 GMT (957kb)
[v2] Thu, 10 Jul 2008 03:59:19 GMT (669kb)