[ExI] "Handle With Care" - NYT Article

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Wed Aug 13 05:16:08 UTC 2008

Olga posted

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/12/science/12ethics.html?_r=2&8dpc&oref=slogi&oref=slogin

that contained

"...a California-based concern, announced it would embark on a private effort to fertilize part of the South Atlantic with iron, in
hopes of producing carbon-absorbing plankton blooms that the company could market as carbon offsets. Countries bound by the London
Convention, an international treaty governing dumping at sea, issued a "statement of concern" about the work and a United Nations
group called for a moratorium, but it is not clear what would have happened had Planktos not abandoned the effort for lack of
money."

We may be right on target for Niven and Pournelle's predictions
in their book "Fallen Angels", in which by overcompensating
against global warming, environmentalist zealots bring about
an ice age, and generate a glacier that in North America reaches
all the way down to Milwalkee and Winnipeg.

I echo the opinions of others here that we don't know enough
about what is happening or about what "we" can do, to start
furiously taking action. Bjorn Lomborg suggests that by getting
as wealthy as we can now, we will be in a better position to
take action if and and when it is needed later.

Lee