[ExI] The imams and advanced bioscience in Iran

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Wed Aug 13 05:41:37 UTC 2008

Stathis writes

> [Lee wrote]
>
>> He doesn't seem to mind at all that the Iranians pick 120 days.
>> The Japanese use to pick three months, if I recall correctly.
>> Up until then, the Japs were legally able to kill their newborns.
>> I'll bet the author would be very uncomfortable with
>> the logical extension of his belief here.
>
> Peter Singer follows his arguments where they logically lead and
> concludes that infanticide isn't as bad as we generally think it is.

I have to agree, though to waste a human, especially when so
much literal work has been invested in one, is just terrible.
But whether or not families should be able to do it without
being attacked from outside is the separate question.

> For this intellectual honesty he has sometimes been vilified. It's a
> difficult problem: I want to be rational and consistent, support
> abortion, but I don't want to kill babies!

The obvious solution :-)  is for you and me never to kill babies!
And unless we are pretty sure they'll turn out to be worthless
or worse citizens, we should in fact sponsor them. But we
should also mind our own business when it comes to other
people and *their* decisions. At least in free countries  :-(

Lee