[ExI] The imams and advanced bioscience in Iran

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Aug 14 05:23:27 UTC 2008

Stathis writes

> Lee [wrote]
>
>> The obvious solution :-)  is for you and me never to kill babies!
>> And unless we are pretty sure they'll turn out to be worthless
>> or worse citizens, we should in fact sponsor them. But we
>> should also mind our own business when it comes to other
>> people and *their* decisions. At least in free countries  :-(
>
> But there will come a point where the baby is recognised as a person
> that doesn't want to be killed or otherwise mistreated, and ultimately
> that point will be arbitrary.

Yes, quite so. But so is the age at which drinking is allowed, the
age one must first attain to be elected president, and numerous
other arbitrary lines. This stems, of course, from the fact that
we must often make binary decisions (e.g. "yes" or "no") about
phenomena that lie on a continuum.

So no harm in that;  in fact, it's downright necessary.

Lee